Skip to main content

Soulful Serenity Newsletter#32 -Generational Patterns, and the Truth We Don’t Want to Face

 

Nazia Saley

View post

As-salāmu ‘alaykum, dear beautiful soul,

Bismillah.

This December, as the year winds down and the “silly season” ramps up, I’ve found myself reflecting on patterns , the ones we inherit, the ones we carry, and the ones we rarely speak about honestly. Some are personal, some are generational, and some… are the ones that quietly shape our communities.

One pattern that has been on my mind more than ever is racism.

Yes, racism. Inside us, inside our families, inside the ways we speak, judge, and fear without realising it. It’s not loud. It’s subtle. It slips into conversations, assumptions, jokes, phrases, sometimes we don’t even notice it. And yet, it’s there.

This is uncomfortable to admit. Some may even feel offended. But truth requires honesty , and healing begins with honesty.

When We Talk About Generational Trauma, Racism Is a Wound We Inherit

South Africa and many parts of the world shaped us all. Apartheid, laws, separation, fear, stories , they left imprints long before we were conscious enough to question them.

And today, many of us still carry those imprints. Not always as extreme views, but in the small, ordinary, unnoticed ways:

  • the phrases that slip out when we’re irritated,
  • the generalisations we repeat to our children,
  • the subtle fear or suspicion when someone “looks a certain way,”
  • jokes we grew up hearing and still quietly accept,
  • the use of “they” as if entire groups are one thing,
  • the comments about hair, skin tone, bodies, or neighbourhoods.

This is the part we don’t want to admit. Because admitting it means we must accept we are part of a problem, and we can't justify it any longer

Healing isn’t just about regulating your emotions or learning to cope. It’s about dismantling the beliefs that keep you small, fearful, and separate. It’s about confronting what we’ve inherited and the subtle ways we perpetuate it.

Racism Is Emotional Healing

You might wonder, what does this have to do with therapy, coaching, or inner work? Everything.

Racism is born from fear, conditioning, shame, survival strategies, distorted family beliefs, and old trauma. These are emotional wounds. Psychological patterns. Spiritual barriers.

When we repeat them without questioning, we remain trapped in fear, in victimhood, in separation.

The moment we pause and ask, “Where did I learn this? Does this even belong to me?” that is the moment healing begins.

And as Rumi reminds us:

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world.

Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”

This is where real change starts. Within. Not in public debates, not in blame, but in personal honesty and reflection.

Why December Is the Perfect Time for This Work

The year slows down. The distractions fade. We meet ourselves without the noise.

And suddenly, the patterns we’ve been repeating all year become impossible to ignore. We realise:

“My life this year looked just like last year.”

Insanity, as Einstein said, is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If we want change, we must interrupt the pattern. We must start with ourselves.

This applies to generational patterns, inherited trauma, and personal wounds alike.


Making Healing Accessible This Month

To help you step into this work, I’m offering 30% OFF all masterclasses and emotional healing sessions until 20 December.

(Links to masterclasses here.)

Rewiring your money mindset

Upgrade your mind

Learning to love your body

The Healing Umbrella (a self guided nervous system reset )

Emotional healing sessions will begin in January, giving you the chance to start the new year grounded, intentional, and ready for real growth.

If you want to break cycles, confront inherited beliefs, and find your answers within yourself, I’m here to guide you. Not because I have all the answers, but because you do, and together, we uncover them. To book sessions and for more info, you can message me on https://wa.me/27765715382


A Reflection for This Week

Ask yourself:

  • What patterns am I still repeating without questioning?
  • What inherited beliefs do I no longer want to carry?
  • Where does subtle racism live inside me?
  • What changes must start with me for the next generation to experience a different world?

It’s not easy. It’s not comfortable. But it is essential. This is deep work. Necessary work. Work that frees the soul and breaks the cycles that quietly bind us.

With love and courage,
Nazia

Ps visit www.naziasaley.com. Follow me on Instagram @emotionalhealingwithnazia


Popular posts from this blog

EMOTIONAL HEALING THERAPY

EMOTIONAL HEALING THERAPY Emotional healing therapy is a process in which one rectifies emotional and psychological issues brought on by trauma. During these sessions the emotional healing practitioner will use various tools and means through which to get to the root of the trauma thus positively changing the clients perceptions of themselves and the world around them, in so doing allowing them to heal not only emotionally and psychologically but spiritually and physically as well. The most common tools of healing used in emotional healing are: • Allowing client to feel their emotions and like an onion get to the root of the issue • Assisting client with emptying out and letting go • Removing emotional blockages keeping them stuck  • Giving client tools and positive qualities • Acceptance • Self awareness ,encourages a person to dig deep and understand the root cause for emotions, thus learning to understand oneself. With emotional healing our aim is to assist the client deal and c...

Letters for Living -Newsletter 55 When You Feel Like There Is Nowhere to Go

  Letters for Living #55 Helping you move from surviving to living with purpose. As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh, dear beautiful souls, Bismillah. It’s been a few weeks since I last sat down to write to you. And perhaps that in itself is part of today's reflection. Because life happens. We make plans. We have ideas about how things are going to unfold. We place things into little boxes in our minds and think, this is how it’s going to be. And then life takes us somewhere completely different. Sometimes gently. Sometimes not so gently. And I think one of the hardest things for us to accept is just how uncertain life really is. We can have a plan today and tomorrow something changes. A person changes. A door closes. Money disappears. An opportunity doesn't work out. Something we were relying on suddenly isn't there anymore. And when that happens, we can realise just how much of our sense of safety was attached to that particular thing. Because when the means ...

ABOUT

NAZIA Saley Transformational and Mindset Coach Emotional Healing Therapist About Me Life has a way of shaping us, often through challenges that leave us questioning our worth, our strength, and our purpose. For years, I wore a smile that masked a whirlwind of low self-esteem, anxiety, and quiet despair. I believed I had to appear strong, flawless, and unshaken, even as I felt lost and disconnected inside. In 2006, I reached a pivotal moment—a turning point where I realized that merely existing was no longer enough. I began the courageous journey of self-healing, peeling back the layers of doubt and pain to uncover the light that had been within me all along. That journey transformed not only my life but also my purpose. Today, as an emotional healing therapist and transformational coach, I am passionate about guiding others to rediscover their own light, heal from within, and live in alignment with their true selves. I believe that every person has the power to overcome self-doubt,...